FAQ – Certification

Q. What are the requirements for certification?
A. If you are flying for hobby and recreation purposes, no certification is required, but you would need to abide by CASA’s basic rules for UAVs / RPAs.

Q. What is the difference between a UAV Controller Certificate and a Remote Pilot Certificate?
A. None, as there is no longer a Remote Pilot Certificate. Whether you do your certification via RPAS training or the PPL, CPL or ATPL  route, you will now receive a UAV Controller Certificate for under 7kg.  Further Manufacturer Type Training is needed if you want to fly the under 20kg class UAV / RPA such as the DJI S900 and S1000 with professional cameras.

Q. Do I need a certification to fly RPAs under 2kg?
A. CASA is considering deregulating the certification requirements for under 2 kg UAV/RPAs as they are considered to be low risk craft, but you will not be able to fly in controlled airspace, over populous areas or apply for approvals or exemptions. However, this will only occur in 2017 at the earliest.

Q. What are the steps to obtain your UAV Controller Certificate?

  1. OBTAIN your Aviation Reference Number (ARN) from CASA
  2. ATTEND RPAS Theory and Practical Flight Training
  3. OBTAIN Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate (AROC) (previously AROCoP) which includes an English Proficiency Test
  4. OBTAIN Manufacturer Type Training Certificate for under 20kg, if required.
  5. APPLY via the RPAS Trainer for the UAV Controller Certificate