RPAS Drone Training / UAV Controller Certificate

Drone Training – RPAS UAV Controller Certificate (previously Remote Pilot Certificate)
RPAS Drone Training 5 day in-class instructor-led course OR virtual instructor-led theory with 2 day in-class theory and practical assessment

For a limited time, we have added craft (including Phantom 4) to training bundles saving you more!!  Check the bundles out here!

Contact us
for more information.

Upcoming Course Dates
Virtual Instructor Led and 2 day in-class: On demand
Brisbane: 21 Mar, 4 Apr, 18 Apr, 2 May, 16 May, 30 May, 13 Jun, 27 Jun
Gold Coast: On demand
Melbourne: 14 Mar, 28 March, 11 Apr, 25 Apr, 9 May, 23 May, 6 Jun, 20 Jun
Perth: On demand
Sydney: 28 Mar, 18th Apr, 16 May, 13 Jun
Darwin: On demand

To fly any unmanned multi rotor, fixed wing or helicopter (UAV / RPA / drone) in Australian airspace for commercial purposes, you must hold a UAV Controller Certificate and work under a UAV Operator’s Certificate.

Our RPAS drone training program has been developed in consultation with, and is approved by, CASA. The RPAS course is available as a 5-day instructor-led classroom option or you can choose to study in your own time by accessing our online instructor-led training material and join us for 2-days of in-class instructor led training. The RPAS course is conducted nation wide. Your knowledge is continually assessed by completing a questionnaire at the end of every module which counts towards your final assessment.

Don’t panic if you’ve never flown before (or do not own a RPA), as we make use of simulators and have a variety of different training craft available for you to learn on. We can also recognise prior learning for experienced pilots if you have a logbook of your flight hours.

All students receive our full colour textbook with 100’s of pages of content focused on operating remotely controlled craft and covers:

  • Aerodynamics
  • RPAS Components
  • Remote Pilot Station
  • Design Considerations
  • Managing Energy Source Requirements
  • Meteorology
  • Human Factors
  • Threat and Error Management
  • Situational Awareness
  • Air Legislation
  • Aeronautical Radio Communication
  • Basic Workplace Communication
  • Risk Management
  • Mission Preparation
  • Navigation
  • Aircraft Operation and Traffic Management

The practical assessment is conducted once the theory component has been completed and reviewed.  The practical flights are commenced on a simulator and followed by up to 3.5 hours of in air training on a variety of crafts.  The practical flight assessment will be conducted once all the flight training is successfully completed.

CASA issues a UAV Controller Certificate to students who have successfully completed our RPAS training program. This covers both theoretical and practical training and assessment of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems.

The Basic RPAS (under 7 kg RPA) fee covers all costs associated with the course with no hidden costs. If you require a Controller Certificate for under 20 kg, we are able to provide additional type training to obtain the under 20kg class rating.

Contact us for bookings and enquiries.

My craft is under 2kg, so do I need to be certified?

Yes, you do if you want to fly commercially over populous areas (towns, cities, beaches) and near airports, etc., whether the new under 2kg law is passed or not.

Please be advised that proposed amendments to Part 101 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 to permit the operation of a RPA under 2kg for commercial operations if certain conditions are met, without the need to be authorised by an Operating Certificate or controller certificate are not expected before the end of 2016, however notice of any amendments will be published on CASA’s web site.

To clarify the proposed amendment to the regulation (CASR Part 101) for flying RPAs under 2kgs is:

  • If you are flying a <2kg drone under the following conditions you will not require a licence.

o   Outside controlled airspace

o   Within VLOS and Day VMC

o   Under 400 feet

o   Not within 30 metres of people

o   Outside populous areas

o   Not within 3nm of ANY aerodrome, airport or HLS

  • If you intend operating outside ANY of the above conditions it is anticipated that current licensing regulations will apply.

Furthermore, as new information and requirements are approved, they will be advertised on the CASA web site at http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_100374

Do I need an Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate?
If you would like to operate within Controlled Airspace or apply for a UOC, you need to hold a AROC as per CASR 101.285. While all students who attend our RPAS course are taught AROC theory, the Basic RPAS training does not include the AROC and English Assessments or associated costs. We can offer AROC Certification in Brisbane, or contact your nearest flight school to discuss their AROC options available.

Can I fly under someone else’s UOC?
To work under a company’s UOC, you need to be ’employed’ by the UOC holder, only fly their craft registered on their UOC, carry out all aerial work under the UOC holders name and be covered under their Public Liability insurance. To fly your craft for aerial work in your name under some else’s UOC is illegal. A UOC application takes under 4 months, with CASA aiming for 2 months from January 2016.